Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘sticks’

So we got our final round of shots yesterday.  10 total shots, 5 a piece.  3 in both our right arms and 2 in both our left arms.  Still a little sore a day later, but at least I know I’m safe from Hepatitus A and B, Polio, Tetanus and Diptheria, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid (not necessarily true with the typhoid as there’s still a 20% chance of contracting it-yeh).

And we got all of those at the bargain price of $577.  Wooohooooo, who doesn’t love paying 600 bucks to get stuck in the arm 5 times?  But at least we’re safe from several different exotic diseases, albeit only 80% safe from typhoid.  Seriously, could they not figure out the other 20%?  I’m quite perplexed by this phenomenon that one can only be safe 80% of the time after a vaccination.  Isn’t that the point of a vaccination?  Isn’t a vaccine by definition supposed to protect you from that disease (actually, the definition is “any preparation used as a preventive inoculation to confer immunity against a specific disease”)?  Sorry, I’m an English teacher, so my dorkiness comes out from time to time.  Not often, but sometimes.  Oh well, I digress.

We are getting closer and closer with each day.  For me, it’s a little more real because I’m not working at my career anymore since I’m a teacher.  For my wife, she still has to go to her real job (not that my job isn’t real, Dad).  We have also been trying to actually make some real preparations for the trip.

As of now, we only have our first plane ticket purchased.  The plan for this trip is not to have a plan, but we do need to make some exceptions.  For instance, we need to decide on when to hike Machu Picchu because it books up so far in advance, and we have had trouble agreeing on when would be best to do this (we decided, kind of, on October 29, but we still haven’t booked it, so it’s not quite official).  We also want to try to figure out where we’re going to spend Christmas and New Year’s Eve since it’s such a busy time across South America and things book up so quickly.  Not having much luck there, either, but we have narrowed it down to Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires (we think).

So while nothing new has been cemented in stone (besides our so called vaccinations), we continue to think and talk about this trip on a daily basis.  We even have thought about the possibilities of moving it up a month because we’re (and by we’re, I mean I’m) getting a little impatient.  I don’t think that’s gonna be a possibility without costing a whole bunch of money though.

Hopefully we’ll actually make some decisions soon, so until then……….

105 DAYS UNTIL DEPARTURE (I can’t believe we’re almost in double digits!!!!!)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Sticks

First Stick: Friday, May 29, 2008.

First Round of Hep A/ Hep B combo.

$58

verdict: OW. ow.ow.

We have our next visit with the travel nurse at the beginning of July. I’m fully prepared to not be able to move my arms at all the next day. We’ll see.

Read Full Post »